Wednesday, February 2, 2011


This is what the driveway looked like at 5:13 a.m. this morning. It's still snowing but the blizzard-effect has subsided somewhat. That means that a person can actually see across the street! Last night, I couldn't see Gene's house.
------------------------------------------------
Wednesday, February 2, 2011 - HAPPY GROUNDHOG DAY and HAPPY AFTER-THE-BLIZZARD DAY!!

The first thing I heard on the radio when I woke up just after 4 a.m. was: "the roads in western Kane County are virtually impassable." Hey, that's where we live. Yikes!! That would explain why I haven't seen the snowplow or any other cars go by since forever.

The next thing I heard was that McHenry County had been declared to be in a state of Emergency. And I thought we were in the state of Illinois.... Yikes and double yikes!

I couldn't take many pictures of the blizzard last night because they would all have looked like the picture up above. Plus, I don't subject my camera to less than ideal conditions. And yesterday was the least ideal I've seen in a long time.

The snow wasn't the scary part -- it was the 50+ mile per hour wind gusts. That's what makes it a blizzard. Winds above 40 mph and snows that cause zero visibility for 3 hours. Check, check and double check.

I don't understand WHY people didn't listen to the advice of anyone who told them NOT to drive yesterday afternoon and evening. The only person I can imagine who would be essential is an ER doctor, maybe a cardiologist....

You don't really need an obstetrician to have a baby. Most obstetrics nurses could probably handle it as well as the doctor.

Besides....when you go to any hospital -- unless you're bleeding profusely or your bone is sticking out of your skin, they usually just poke an IV into your vein and tell you they're going to do some TESTS first. And, the doctor will be in to see you...... later. haha

This is from the Chicago Tribune online (4:21 a.m):

Kane County Lt. Sheriff Pat Gengler warned that all roads in western Kane County are impassable and closed.

“At this time plows are not able to run and tow trucks are also not functioning,” he said in an e-mail. “Anyone who attempts to travel does so with very little chance of immediate assistance should they become stuck.”

All I can say is, WOW! and Stay Home, people.

Better go make some more coffee. Happy Groundhog Day, djb

No comments: