Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Earliest Earthquake Details - I do not recommend being awakened by an earthquake. This is the first report from the USGS which has now changed the event to a different location near Pingree Grove. I'm going to leave this on here because I think it's interesting that somehow they're able to figure out exactly where it happened. Maybe there were two? The current (correct?) info is on my blogger page.

Magnitude4.3
Date-Time
  • Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 09:59:34 UTC
  • Wednesday, February 10, 2010 at 03:59:34 AM at epicenter
Location41.978°N, 88.597°W
Depth5 km (3.1 miles) set by location program
RegionILLINOIS
Distances
  • 6 km (4 miles) WNW (292°) from Virgil, IL
  • 8 km (5 miles) E (94°) from Sycamore, IL
  • 8 km (5 miles) N (1°) from Maple Park, IL
  • 35 km (22 miles) NW (315°) from Aurora, IL
  • 77 km (48 miles) WNW (282°) from Chicago, IL
Location Uncertaintyhorizontal +/- 12.8 km (8.0 miles); depth fixed by location program
ParametersNST= 11, Nph= 11, Dmin=171.4 km, Rmss=0.86 sec, Gp=151°,
M-type="Nuttli" surface wave magnitude (mbLg), Version=6
Source
  • USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event IDus2010snay
  • This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
  • Did you feel it? Report shaking and damage at your location. You can also view a map displaying accumulated data from your report and others. ~USGS website
I sent in a report to the USGS stating my location and describing my situation because I love reading about natural disasters -- mostly from afar, but this was a little too close for comfort and VERY SCARY. It made me immediately realize how freaking scared those poor people in Haiti must've been. I can't even imagine the level of their fear. God bless them all.

This is now the fourth earthquake I've been in while living in Illinois. Gotta go. This is too much
see ya, djb

No comments: